West Valley City police have arrested a Utah teen they believe was involved in a suspected gang shooting last week.
Two groups of rival gang members got into a verbal tussle in the early hours of last Friday morning and were allegedly leaving the area when one teen, the suspect arrested, is believed to have fired several rounds at the other group. Police stated that no one reported to any local healthcare facility for treatment for a gunshot wound.
The Utah teen suspected of doing the shooting was arrested and the other occupants in the same vehicle were released to their parents.
What is a Criminal Street Gang?
A criminal street gang is described as an organization, association in fact, or group of three or more people that has:
• As one of its primary activities the commission of one or more gang crimes
• As a group, an identifying name or identifying sign or symbol, or both
• Members who engage in, or have engaged in, a pattern of criminal gang activity
There are enhanced penalties for members of criminal street gangs who commit certain offenses and who are found to have committed the offense
• With two or more people
• For the benefit of, at the direction of, or in association with the gang or
• To gain recognition, membership, acceptance or increased status with the gang
Talk to an Attorney
Most Utah teens who commit an offense are handled within the jurisdiction of a Utah juvenile court. Depending on the circumstances of the offense, a teen’s case may be transferred to adult court. In order to help make sure that your child’s case is handled in the best way possible, you should talk to a Utah juvenile defense attorney before going into court.
The right attorney can help see that your child is treated fairly and respectfully. Do what’s best for your son or daughter by contacting a Utah juvenile defense attorney today.